Bernie Sanders has endorsed Tim Canova over Debbie Wasserman Schultz for US Representative in the August 30 Florida Democratic primary vote.
The primary election offers the chance to replace anti-cannabis prohibitionist Schultz with drug law reformer Tim Canova. Debbie, of course, is also the Chair of the Democratic National Committee, a role from which Bernie vowed to fire her. This blog has offered several examples of her incompetence and mismanagement in both her powerful roles.
As a Congresswoman in the US House of Representatives Debbie’s record is dismal:
- DWS accepted hefty donations from the alcohol industry. Her campaign is Fueled by Booze PACs While She Blasts Legal Pot.
- Quite incredibly, she sided with Republicans, and against Elizabeth Warren, in seeking to ease enforcement in the exploitative payday loans industry.
- In the 2014 Florida medical marijuana initiative, she back-stabbed state Democrats and joined arch-Conservative Republican billionaire, Sheldon Adelson, in narrowly defeating medical cannabis legalization.
- Democrat Chair Doubles Down On Marijuana Prohibition
- Debbie Does Malice: DNC Chairwoman is a Drug War Disaster
As Head of the Democratic National Committee, Schultz has demonstrated favoritism and incompetence:
- She oversaw the Democratic debacle of the 2014 election, including loss of the Senate, and dismal youth voter turnout.
- DNC’s Debbie Wasserman Schultz Is Damaging Vital Democratic Turnout
- With a heavy hand she has micromanaged the 2016 Democratic primary, even alienating vice-chair Tulsi Gabbard until she quit.
- DSW showed blatant favoritism for Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders.
Of course if she does lose her House seat there is the danger of her being awarded a big role in a Clinton administration, if Hillary wins the nomination and presidency. It is possible she may be more dangerous as a Clinton appointee than as a US Representative, but such speculation cannot over ride the need to defeat her in the primary, and to add Tim’s vibrant new voice to cannabis reform and to other progressive ideals in the US Congress.
This is the first time that DWS has had a primary challenger for her 12 year reign in Florida’s 23rd District. Check out Bernie Sander’s choice for Democrat in the contest, Tim Canova. Tim could use your contribution to help him have a chance against Debbie’s lucre from alcohol and pay day loan industries.